Subject: [Leica] IMG: Wild Turkey Strut
From: wrs111445 at yahoo.com (Bill Smith)
Date: Wed May 30 00:45:15 2007

For those of you who "approve of" hunting, you must know that hunting wild
turkey during the spring mating season is the supreme experience. The most
sporting way is to sit on the ground dressed in full camo with your back to
a tree and don't move a muscle while you call (with a mouth or box call
device you've practiced with for days) incessantly like a passionately
romantic hen. The normally wily toms lose their head (somewhat like humans
of the male gender) and literally come running in seeking the amorous hen(s).

  They often go into a strut right in front of your eyes to display their
"manliness" and  sometimes even attempt to mount the rubber hen decoy you're
using. All-in-all it's unbelievable performance. Their eyesight for color is
superb, but not for shape. Their hearing is out of this world.

  Once I got into a calling contest w/ a group of real hens for the interest
of two toms who were in-between us. I would have won save for a damn fence
that kept the toms from coming close enough to get shot.

  Bill

Nathan Wajsman <nathan@nathanfoto.com> wrote:
  Not this time of year, the know that Thanksgiving is several months away
;-)

--
Nathan Wajsman
Almere, The Netherlands