Subject: [Leica] IMG: pretending to be Doug Herr (but not even in the sameleague)
From: telyt at earthlink.net (Douglas Herr)
Date: Mon May 28 19:18:56 2007

Eric <ericm@pobox.com> wrote:

>Doug, how close do you usually get to your bird subjects?

As close as they'll allow.  Under the best of conditions that's about 6'.
More typical is about 20' and it might take a few hours of hanging around
melting into the background scenery to do that.  The Tree Swallow, a small
bird, was about 15' away and I used the full-frame equivalent of a 560mm
lens (400mm * 1.37).  Extension tubes are my friends.

>I shot these with the equivalent of a 672/5.6 lens since I was using a
>"cropped" sensor to get more magnification.  And even then, I cropped down
>another 2x.  So I've got the field of view of a 1400mm lens.  And I was only
>10-15 away!

You might want to check the actual distance I suspect the Killdeer was at
least twice as far away.  The bird in this photo

http://www.wildlightphoto.com/birds/charadriidae/kill00.jpg

was between 6' and 10' away with a 300mm lens (no cropping)

>Mother(?) Killdeer
>http://canid.com/current/070528_011.html
>
>Well hidden eggs
>http://canid.com/current/070528_012.html
>
>Standing Guard
>http://canid.com/current/070528_013.html
>
>Yelling at the Intruding Photographer
>http://canid.com/current/070528_014.html
>
>Four Eggs
>http://canid.com/current/070528_015.html

keep watching that nest, once the eggs hatch the chicks are on their feet
and gone!

Doug Herr
Birdman of Sacramento
http://www.wildlightphoto.com