Subject: [Leica] Report of M8 Base Failure
From: telyt at earthlink.net (telyt@earthlink.net)
Date: Thu May 24 15:42:01 2007

Frank Filippone <red735i@earthlink.net> wrote:

> Have you ever heard of an M1-7 failing ( in my engineering parlance,:
coming apart)
> because a tripod screw was used?  No, because the tripod threads are in
the body
> casting and the casting just will not give.

Ummm.... I believe the M1 through M7 tripod threads are in the base plate.

And where ever the tripod threads are there is some degree of force that
will make them fail.  I'd rather a base plate fail than the body casting.
Better yet I'd rather the tripod threads were anchored to the body casting
by a sub-frame that is designed to break before the main casting does.
Comparing tripod thread failures on a Leicaflex, any variety (sub-frame)
with the same damage to an R4 (anchored to main casting), the Leicaflex can
be repaired.  The R4 becomes a parts donor.

Doug Herr
Birdman of Sacramento
http://www.wildlightphoto.com

mail2web.com - Microsoft? Exchange solutions from a leading provider -