Subject: [Leica] Report of M8 Base Failure
From: shino at panix.com (Rei Shinozuka)
Date: Wed May 23 17:42:14 2007

that's kind of horrifying to see the metal housing of the m8
fail so catastrophically.  i guess the design is faulty;
the front-back split effectively means that the baseplate
sort of hooks into a lower corner of the front piece. a
one-peice design would not fail in this manner.

it's hard to imagine there was much stress on a tripod--the
lens it was mounting was only a 50 lux, rather than
a heavy noctilux or 75 lux.

at least the lens didn't look like it was damaged in the fall

-rei