Subject: [Leica] M5 questions
From: sonc.hegr at gmail.com (Sonny Carter)
Date: Thu May 10 14:29:04 2007

On 5/10/07, Harrison McClary <lists@mcclary.net> wrote:

> I just picked up an M5 from KEH today, it was listed as BGN, so I was
> ready for a rough looking camera.  Actually it is not that bad.  The
> shutter speeds are nice and crisp with good detents, the camera had a
> few minor dings and one place of chipped vulcanite,

You can fix that with Liquid Electrical tape.  Available at harware stores,
or you can get a new cameraskin for it.  Pretty easy to  DIY.

> Anyway I have one question and a few observations.  First the question,
> the rangefinder patch shows minor signs of separation.  How big of an
> issue or concern is this?  I know this is fairly common, just wonder how
> rapidly this progresses, and how much a repair of something like this is
> should it become necessary.

I had mine switched for the new Rangefinder module.  If it is working it  is
only an annoyance.

Now to the observations...Why was this camera not well liked?

Because it wasn't the same shape as an M.  Lots of people did like it.  The
CL came out about the same time and was quite a bit cheaper, so Leica
competed with themselves.

It is a nice camera.   I personally liked to hang a strap from the side
lugs, it gets in your way less that way.  The most comfortable is the two
lugs on one side, but I think your probably came with the three

--
Regards,

Sonny
http://www.sonc.com