Subject: [Leica] Photar Lenses
From: marcsmall at comcast.net (Marc James Small)
Date: Mon May 7 16:09:53 2007

At 05:58 PM 5/7/2007, Jim Cheatham wrote:
 >Has anyone had experience with the Photar lenses? I do
 >a lot of macro work and am tempted. What are the pros
 >and cons, characteristics of each, etc.? I can't find
 >examples of shots with the different lenses? Any
 >ideas? Thanks. - Jim Cheatham

Jim

I have a fairly extensive collection of Leitz
Micro-Summars, Milars, and Photars, Zeiss
Mikrotars and Luminars, and B&L Micro-Tessars,
along with a slew of other such macro lenses such
as 60mm and 74mm f/4 Carl Zeiss S-Planars.  I
generally use these with a bellows rig on my
Hasselblad 2000 FC/M but I have on occasion used
them with a Visoflex III and Bellows II on my M6,
and generally shoot chromes.  All of these lenses
are quite useable but the Leitz Photars and the
Zeiss Luminars are the best of the bunch in general terms.

They require a LOT of care in use, of course, due
to a VERY fine depth of field.

For general work, a 25mm or 50mm lens would be a
good starting place.  I do have a number of
slides taken with these lenses but these are not
at hand so I cannot scan and send them.

Marc

msmall@aya.yale.edu
Cha robh b?s fir gun ghr?s fir!