Subject: [Leica] Re: M8 trials and tribulations? NOW! More techie BS!
From: red735i at earthlink.net (Frank Filippone)
Date: Mon May 7 06:38:28 2007

Good work Peter.... I forgotten this blue dot functionality.

The problem, as you point out, is that data is fact and the blue dot
supplies approximate data ( try that on next year's IRS
return....), the fact in which seems to escape me.....

Basically, while I stand corrected, there is no Aperture "data" available to
the camera.

Frank Filippone
red735i@earthlink.net

Jerry:  Actually, the M8 *is* calculating the aperture. The little blue dot
near the M8 logo is a second light meter cell, whose primary purpose is
flash exposure calculation. Using this cell, the camera compares the
off-the shutter light measurement (which is behind the lens and aperture)
with the blue dot (which is out in the open). It can calculate the
approximate aperture based on the comparison.  Problem is, it's only
accurate +/- one stop, so Leica doesn't put it in the regular EXIF
data.  There's been a bit of speculation on the Leica-Camera-User digital
forum that the value might be stored somewhere in the manufacturer's
proprietary section of the EXIF.  If it is, I'm sure somebody will figure
out a way to access it in some EXIF viewer.