Subject: [Leica] Re: M8 trials and tribulations? NOW! More techie BS!
From: pklein at 2alpha.net (Peter Klein)
Date: Sun May 6 22:40:05 2007

Ted:  EXIF data is not absolutely necessary, and it won't turn a sow's ear
into a silk purse.  But it's sometimes nice to know what aperture and
shutter speed you shot at.  Sometimes we remember, sometimes we
don't.  Helps with the learning process.  It just means that we learn more
quickly that at f/0.5, the Nocktislurp is only sharp in the center, but at
f/1.1, it's sharp as a tack corner-to-corner.  As in, "Darn, my picture
sucked because I should have slowed the shutter a notch instead of opening
up.

Jerry:  Actually, the M8 *is* calculating the aperture. The little blue dot
near the M8 logo is a second light meter cell, whose primary purpose is
flash exposure calculation. Using this cell, the camera compares the
off-the shutter light measurement (which is behind the lens and aperture)
with the blue dot (which is out in the open). It can calculate the
approximate aperture based on the comparison.  Problem is, it's only
accurate +/- one stop, so Leica doesn't put it in the regular EXIF
data.  There's been a bit of speculation on the Leica-Camera-User digital
forum that the value might be stored somewhere in the manufacturer's
proprietary section of the EXIF.  If it is, I'm sure somebody will figure
out a way to access it in some EXIF viewer.

If I recall correctly, Sean Reid explains this on his site.

--Peter

Replies: Reply from red735i at earthlink.net (Frank Filippone) ([Leica] Re: M8 trials and tribulations? NOW! More techie BS!)