Subject: [Leica] Re: 35 mm lenses - possible items of misinformation
From: marcsmall at comcast.net (Marc James Small)
Date: Sat May 5 16:54:44 2007

At 03:47 PM 5/5/2007, Lawrence Zeitlin wrote:

 >Item 1. I recall hearing that the Summaron 2.8 has the same optics as
 >the Summaron 3.5. The lens diaphragm was tweaked to open wider at the
 >request of a well known photographer.

I have always read that this occurred at a New
York Chess Tournament when Eisie was being
challenged by low light with his 3.5/5cm Elmar
and queried Ernst Leitz New York about a possible
remedy.  The story runs that they redid the stops
on a lens in stock so that it could open to f/2.8
and sent it over to him, and the rest is
history.  Officials at Leitz and Leica have both
claimd the story to be true and have denied it
flatly.  But the optical construction of the late
3.5/5cm and 2.8/5cm Elmars do seem to be identical.

I have never heard this story about the 3.5cm
Summaron though that is possible.  We are now
well into the realm of camera apocrypha and, as
all of the principals are dead, we probably shall
never be able to pin the truth down.  I probably
ought to ask Emil Keller while he is still around
as he might well have heard of this.

Marc

msmall@aya.yale.edu
Cha robh b?s fir gun ghr?s fir!