Subject: [Leica] Grotesquely Off-Topic: Virginia it is!
From: marcsmall at comcast.net (Marc James Small)
Date: Fri May 4 21:20:27 2007

At 04:52 PM 5/4/2007, Jeff S. Matsler wrote:
 >Hello,
 >
 >Just got word from the Army Chaplaincy that I'm to be assigned to Ft.
 >Eustis, VA.   If all goes as planned, I'll be a Chaplain for a
 >Transportation Battalion.
 >
 >This entire process, including this assignment has been a "God-thing",
 >with doors opening that never should have by "normal" standards - and
 >an assignment to exactly where we feel we need to be.  Va was our
 >first choice - which NEVER happens on a first assignment.  Best of
 >all, because I was medically released, my years out of service still
 >count for pay.  I'll be a CHAT w/ 12 years (which is a heck of a lot
 >better than a CPT w/ 5!).
 >
 >Thanks for all of those who have been praying for Michelle and I.  My
 >new assignment begins 15 June, or thereabouts.  There will be plenty
 >of photo ops to put the Leicas through their paces - and the Minoltas too!
 >
 >If any of you live in the area, or nearby, I look forward to putting a
 >face with the many names and personalities I've met.
 >
 >I should have my orders in a week or so.  At that point - and only
 >then as Ross can tell you - it's official.
 >
 >I will be re-commissioned next week at the local VFW chapter.  That'll
 >be fun and I'll try to get some pics.

Fort Eustis is a flat and level place, a post of
mud and dust and not a lot more than that.  It
was established as a Coast Artillery post to keep
the British from seizing Richmond, though Queen
Elizabeth the First and Second seems to have done
that on her own this past Thursday, followed by a
triumph at Williamsburg and another yesterday at
Jamestown.  When my father was pulling his
enlisted hitch with the 52nd Coast Artillery
(Rwy) at Fortress Monroe back in the 1930's, he'd
occasionally be sent over as a member of a party
to pull maintenance on the guns at Eustis.

Eustis was established as the home for the
Transportation Corps during the Second World War,
after we figured out that our Army Air Force was
bigger and meaner than the Royal Navy, and so we
really didn't have to guard the James River
environs to Richmond that closely.  For years,
the US Army's logistics doctrine development and
schools were divided between Fort Lee in
Richmond, Virginia (supply -- the Quartermaster
Corps), Aberdeen, Maryland (maintenance -- the
Ordnance Corps), and Fort Eustis, Virginia
(Transportation Corps).  After forty or fifty
years of agony, the latest Base Closing and
Realignment (BRAC) process has decided to close
down the Ordnance, Transportation, and
Quartermaster Schools with their related doctrine
development sections and to consolidate these in
a new Logistics School to be located at Fort
Lee.  Aberdeen Proving Grounds will now be a Test
and Development post.  Fort Eustis has no real
future mission and will probably be a victim for
the next BRAC, currently sugested for 2012 or
so.  You will, of course, be rotated out by that point, so no hu-hu.

I did my Commissary and PX shopping at Fort
Useless when I was in Law School at William &
Mary, but it's been donkey's years since I've
been there.  I currently live about ten miles
from Fort Lee, about sixty miles or so from
Eustis, and our property values are going up due
to the folks being transferred here from Aberdeen
and Eustis.  I would suggest waiting a while
before buying a house, as the values will
probably bottom out in another year or so.  The
problem this has caused here at Fort Lee is that
the closest gate to the Class Six store is being
renovated, so we have to drive around to the Shop
Road Gate, rather a bit of going around Robin
Hood's Barn.  I will take my wife tomorrow to the
Commissary while I visit the Class Six store,
that most vital part of the post to us retirees.

In any event, welcome back to active duty.  I am
not certain just what a CHAT is, but
congratulations on becoming such.  Is this like
becoming a member of the Ancient and Honorable
Order of the Society of Turtles <he grins, and
grins again in the memory of Wally
Shirra>.  Sometime, I have to tell you about the
time a friend lost a railway engine at
Eustis.  Well, he didn't lose it:  he just got
appointed to a Company Command and the engine was
on his property book and no one could find it, so
he refused to sign, and that was the only
rational thing to do.  The tale grows from that ...

Marc

msmall@aya.yale.edu
Cha robh b?s fir gun ghr?s fir!

Replies: Reply from jeffmatsler at amaonline.com (Jeff S. Matsler) ([Leica] Grotesquely Off-Topic: Virginia it is!)