Subject: [Leica] Re: Vanishing darkroom supplies
From: lrzeitlin at optonline.net (Lawrence Zeitlin)
Date: Thu May 3 06:20:52 2007

On May 2, 2007, at 10:13 PM, Jeffrey wrote:

>> On Tuesday I drove to "Lakeside Camera", one of the larger
>> photographic supply stores in the metropolitan area. They no longer
>> stock darkroom supplies.
>>
>> The ship appears to be pulling away from the dock.....
>> --

I attended a family reunion in a suburb of Rochester last weekend. A
niece asked me if I would like to look to look at pictures of her new
baby. What could I do but agree? She pulled her digital camera out of
her purse and treated me to a couple of dozen pictures displayed on
the 2.5" LCD screen. No prints, just screen images. She saves the
images directly to her computer and if she wants to see them
enlarged, connects the laptop to her 42" plasma TV.

Ironically, her husband is a Kodak executive. Later that evening, he
told me that Kodak's research showed that more pictures are being
taken than ever before but 95% of them are never actualized in hard
copy form. He admitted that this was another one of Kodak's wrong
guesses about the future of photography. Kodak hoped to compensate
for reduced film sales by increased sales of photofinishing paper and
supplies and do-it-yourself kiosks in drugstores and supermarkets.

I felt really out of place with my Leica IIIf hanging around my neck.

Larry Z

Replies: Reply from chs2018 at med.cornell.edu (Chris Saganich) ([Leica] Re: Vanishing darkroom supplies)
Reply from lists at mcclary.net (Harrison McClary) ([Leica] Re: Vanishing darkroom supplies)
Reply from kennybod at mac.com (Kenneth Frazier) ([Leica] Re: Vanishing darkroom supplies)