Subject: Re: [Leica] %¤#! Adobe and UPS
From: marcsmall at comcast.net (Marc James Small)
Date: Fri Apr 27 14:23:09 2007

Be aware of two scams pulled by UPS and FedEx:

First, they insist on paying for customs
clearance even when there are no customs
charges.  This is especially egrregious for
shipments from the US to Canada, where UPS and
FedEx charge about $US 50 for the unnecessary transaction.

Second, UPS and FedEx will not insure a "unique
item" in overseas shipping.  They will NOT tell
you about this in advance and will take your
money but, if there is a loss, they will just
refund the insurance and tell you, "sorry about
that, good buddy".  A "unique item" is an item
bearing a serial number which is no longer in
production.  I was warned of this by my UPS
delivery guy when I was getting ready to send an
$8,000 lens to Japan about twenty years back.  I
understand their policy -- they do not want to be
responsible for finding rare lenses or the like
to replace items lost in transit -- but they ought to tell you in advance.

I always send items by the Postal Service.  I
might be an Anarchist radical who wants to
abolish the government but, in general, the US
Postal Service does a substantially better job than do the private services.

I have very limited experience with DHL and the
other services, but I believe that their policies
track those of UPS and FedEx.  (After all, "UPS"
stands for "the Unsatsifactory Parcel Service", doesn't it?)

Marc

msmall@aya.yale.edu
Cha robh b?s fir gun ghr?s fir!

Replies: Reply from dlr at dlridings.se (Daniel Ridings) ([Leica] %¤#! Adobe and UPS)