Subject: [Leica] Noctilux M8 back focus update -- Erwin Puts inroduction
From: len-1 at comcast.net (Leonard Taupier)
Date: Tue Apr 24 16:34:24 2007

Hello Tom,

I believe Erwins explanation of the Noctilux focus shift is under
stated as it applies to the M8 or even the film series of M cameras.
We should also understand where the focus shift is being measured. In
Eric's case he is focusing on an object perhaps 5 feet away and than
observes where the sharpest plane of focus appears on the
photographed image. As the lens is stopped down this plane of sharp
focus moves considerably. In Erwins case he says the focus shift is
less then the thickness of 35mm film. If this shift were 5 feet away
there would never be a problem. I believe he measures the focus point
at the film plane where a shift of 74 or 120 microns would be
considerable. Erwin did not reference his shift to target distance as
Eric does. That 120 micron actually corresponds to large fractions of
inches. Erwins measurements are very precise and probably taken with
highly calibrated instruments. What we do is focus on an object and
expect it to be sharp and in focus. When an experienced photographer,
like our bar keeper says the Noctilux is unusable on an M8, that's a
problem.

Erwin is highly skilled and knowledgeable in the field of lens design
and measurement. His Compendium is an important work. The first part
of the book where he goes into lens design, distortions and
measurement technique is quite technical. Only a few who buy the book
will understand a large part of it. For the rest of us we head for
the back and read the lens reviews in plain English. I would like to
see Erwin revisit the Noctilux and explain it's performance from a
users standpoint and why it is worse on the digital camera.

Len