Subject: [Leica] Polarizing filter
From: leicam4pro at yahoo.com (John Biava)
Date: Mon Apr 23 08:34:30 2007

I have both the E39 and E 43 swing out polarizers.  The concept works quite
well.
What does not seem to work so well are the German made polarizing filters
themselves.  Mine are both showing signs of seperation.  But my japanese
made polarizing filters are still in excellent shape even though the same
age.

  I seem to recall seeing a later version of swing out polarizer of the "one
size fits all" ( with adapters ) being marketed later.

Marc James Small <marcsmall@comcast.net> wrote:
  At 12:48 AM 4/23/2007, Henning Wulff wrote:
>Leica made a swing out polarizer in the 50's and
>60's in E39 and E43 sizes, both with integrated
>hoods. They worked quite well.

Ah! You should write Dr Laney, as he failed to
note this. (But, then, his daughter and
son-in-law cheated a bunch of us when they
bankrupted Hove while claiming to hold onto the
intellectual property rights in our books, so
perhaps two wrongs can make a right! )

As Dr Laney has let me down, I clambered over my
odd collection of slide projectors and camera
bags to reach my assortment of old Leitz
catalogs, and you are absolutely correct. These include:

(codeword/catalogue number) size
FILPO/13,390 A24
(earlier, FILPO was POOEL/13,350)
FISUMI/13,396 A for E36.5
FISUM/13,395 A for E36.4
FINON/13,400/ Bayonet 40
(later changed to
FINON/13,394) A43 to slip-over the B40 mount
xxxxx/13,352 E39
xxxxx/13,351 E43

All but the E39 and E43 filters were gone from
the catalogues by 1965. These two survived at least into the middle 1970's.

I stand corrected. Still, the photographic press
found these humorous as hell and they do not seem
to have sold well, as ELNY seems to have often offered them at a discount.

Marc

msmall@aya.yale.edu
Cha robh b?s fir gun ghr?s fir!