Subject: [Leica] Re: LUG Digest, Vol 34, Issue 464
From: lrzeitlin at optonline.net (Lawrence Zeitlin)
Date: Fri Apr 20 13:59:31 2007

On Apr 20, 2007, at 3:57 PM, Frank wrote:

> Perspective.... the USPS stated about a year ago that 90% of all
> mail is Junk Mail.... Not First or Second class mail.  Third class.
>
> Now if they raised the price of junk mail by 3 cents a piece, I
> wonder how that would fix the USPS problems in a few years?

The relatively low price on junk mail is a subsidy to the entire
economy, probably repaid tenfold in increases in the GNP. The 10% of
First Class mail, however is critically important. Income tax
returns, bank statements, and love letters all go First Class. The
social fabric would disintegrate without it.

However, I feel everyone's pain about the occasional delays in USPS
carried mail. I just returned form the local one man post office
after sending 41 CDs to clients. I asked the postmaster how to avoid
problems when sending expensive camera equipment. He suggested using
Registered Mail. For $7.40 additional postage you get insurance,
assured delivery, a signed receipt from the recipient - and if the
shipment is expensive enough, an armed guard. After all, the premium
for Registered Mail is only a tenth of one percent of the value of an
M8 and lens. If Registered Mail was good enough for the Hope diamond,
it is damn well good enough for your Leica equipment.

Larry Z

Replies: Reply from nathan at nathanfoto.com (Nathan Wajsman) ([Leica] Postal services)