Subject: [Leica] OT: I have a job!!!! (plus P.S. on trip to Honkers, Guangxi and Shanghai)
From: pmcc_2000 at yahoo.com (pmcc)
Date: Thu Apr 19 03:28:14 2007

Daniel wrote to Ken,

> Working is overrated.

Amen (saith Peter, reverently).

PMCC.
SF, CA

P.S.  Just home from a flying fortnight's break in HK
and China.  Enjoyed the incomparable hospitality of
Joseph Yao and Sarah Wong over dinner poolside at
their digs on the Peak, accompanied by an extensive
tasting of fine wines and champagnes. Sarah is within
spitting distance (ahem) of becoming the first Master
of Wine in East Asia.  While Joseph and I retreated to
his study for a post-prandial review of the latest
Leica and Zeiss optical bon-bons, Sarah excused
herself from the other dinner guests and gave my gf a
first-time HK visitor's tour of the premises.  The gf
could be heard exclaiming with surprise and delight
upon viewing the panoramic vista of the HK skyline
below from Sarah's rooftop.  That Peak experience
(ahem again) was matched several days later in
Yangshuo, where the ethereal landscapes of misty
limestone karst mountains lived up to the inspiration
for Chinese paintings (and nicely quoted in Henning's
photos). Even took some photos of my own, despite an
equipment casualty. Ignoring my gf's advice to leave
the camera in the hotel that day, I had taken it along
on a particularly hair-raising bike ride through the
roads and streets of Guilin (gf is an in-training road
racer -- SF Velogirls -- and no way can I keep up;
Chinese traffic, with its swarming bicycles, herds of
water buffalo and WTF-pumped truck drivers would
challenge even Lance A). The camera casualty was
predictable but happily remediable, as I couriered the
camera back to Joseph in HK who had his tech fix it
while treating him for lunch. But the fix was not
quite as swift or convenient as the time some years
ago in Macao when Joseph and I gaped in astonishment
to see Shintaro (of Leica painting renown) perform an
impromptu field CLA of Adrian Bradshaw's frozen 60mm
Macro Elmarit while *standing* on the steps of St.
Paul's, using only his pocket tools. Reminds one of
the proverbial emergency appendectomy done with a
Swiss Army knife (remember, Joseph is an ER doc). So
the object lesson for all Leica shooters on the loose
in south China is be prepared:  don't forget to bring
along your own Leica technician for those unexpected
field repairs. (It is lamentably true to say that
Leica gear just isn't what it used to be.  But what
is?)  Yet it was not quite as easy as it might sound,
as neither Joseph, Adrian nor I speak much more than
sushi-bar Japanese, and Shintaro's English
proficiency, well, meets that general standard.  Real
cultural boundary pushers we, we lucky few, we band of
Leica bros.

After roughing it in Yangshuo, we topped off our
intrepid China expedition with a blowout long weekend
in Shanghai, replete with Starbucks, a glitzy new
hotel with banks of elevators and working sit-down
plumbing, and that greatest of small luxuries, clean
laundry. We focused on the world class food (Laris at
Three on the Bund; classic Beijing duck; Shanghai
steamer dumplings everywhere) and the burgeoning
contemporary art scene at M50 and MOCA. Gf fell in
love with a modern photoshop riff on Guangxi
landscapes on display at Ofoto Gallery. From viewing
distance, it was classic Chinese landscape. Up close,
the karst mountains were Shanghai skyscrapers, the
trees were construction cranes, the calligraphy were
vertical lines of source code, and the red seals and
colophons were Chinese manhole cover patterns.
Brilliant -- but to gf's great sorrow, the edition was
sold out and the gallery was keeping one last copy
forever to hang on their office wall.

Guess I'll just have to return to China again soon,
which will be my parental duty -- my daughter will be
teaching there as a Yale China Fellow for the next
couple of years.  Parenting is hard work.

P.P.S.  Since I have just logged back in to the LUG, I
have no idea what your new position is, Ken, but
goodspeed in the new endeavor ...