Subject: [Leica] OT equipment: Xpan 30mm vs. PC Nikkor 28
From: henningw at archiphoto.com (Henning Wulff)
Date: Sat Apr 14 23:15:21 2007

>This is OT equipments, but I also know a number of you use or have
>used XPan/XPan-2 etc. I am considering getting an XPan 30mm lens.
>Unfortunately, it's at least $2500 and often higher. I can probably
>get a used PC-Nikkor 28/3.5 plus a Nikon-Xpan adapter for around
>$1000. That and a 15mm Heliar external VF should cover just about as
>much film circle as the XPan 30mm.
>
>PROs of a PC Nikkor solution:
>- ~40% of the price
>- 3.5 vs. 5.6 widest aperture (vignetting issue unknown)
>
>PROs of a XPan solution:
>- smaller and lighter (how much?)
>- rangefinder coupled
>- built as part of the system.
>
>Thoughts? Experience?

I have both. The 30 Xpan lens is significantly better overall, and it
is what makes the Xpan the outstanding camera it is. It's a lot of
money, but there is not comparison. It's a _lot_ smaller, and a
little lighter than the Nikkor, and you need the center filter so
consider it an f/8-11 lens, but it can be used wide open with no
problems. The 28/3.5, being strongly retrofocus, has no vignetting
issues. The good thing, especially considering it's intended use, is
that it is almost distortion free over its intended image circle.

The Nikkor 28/3.5 is only very, very slightly better than the f/4,
and if I had to do it again I would not have traded up. I now use the
28/3.8 on my Roundshot 28/220, and it is retired from 35mm duty. As
an MF lens it isn't too bad, but it certainly doesn't have the
performance of the 30/5.6 Xpan lens.

--
    *            Henning J. Wulff
   /|\      Wulff Photography & Design