Subject: [Leica] OT equipment: XPan 30mm vs. PC Nikkor 28
From: mark at rabinergroup.com (Mark Rabiner)
Date: Sat Apr 14 12:28:55 2007

On 4/14/07 1:28 PM, "Allen Graves" <allen.graves@charter.net> typed:

> I already had the 28 PC so I bought the adapter. It works well, but
> the 28 PC does not entirely cover the negative-you lose about 4mm
> total of the negative. The speed difference is negligible as I found
> that you need to stop down to f5.6- f8 or so to get the best
> sharpness (the 28 PC is a fine lens but may not be Nikon's sharpest
> lens). You can also probably get the combination (lens + converter )
> for well under $1000 if you look around. The CV 15mm finder works
> well and is a lot less bulky than the Hasselblad. I also use the Xpan
> converter  and a Nikon 20mm for normal 35mm frames and it works well,
> and cheaply, since I already had the 20mm lens.
>
> All that said, however, I really wanted (and still want) the
> Hasselblad 30mm lens. It is amazingly sharp, but it costs $2500  and
> I found out that I don't use the wider panorama view nearly as much
> as I thought that I would. It seems that the 45 suffices most of the
> time.
>
> Allen

There's a misconception that wide angle and panoramic are about the same
thing or about always go hand in hand.
I don't think that's true.
I think when you shoot Pan you're just as inclined to throw on a short tele.
Even more so. But I'm not talking from experience. Only dreams.
Real feeling ones though. In living black and white.

But also on what I've seen on the walls.
And lots of XPan shots make it to gallery walls.

Mark Rabiner
8A/109s
New York, NY

markrabiner.com