Subject: [Leica] OT equipment: XPan 30mm vs. PC Nikkor 28
From: mark at rabinergroup.com (Mark Rabiner)
Date: Sat Apr 14 00:24:42 2007

On 4/14/07 1:32 AM, "Richard" <richard-lists@imagecraft.com> typed:

> This is OT equipments, but I also know a number of you use or have used
> XPan/XPan-2 etc. I am considering getting an XPan 30mm lens. Unfortunately,
> it's at least $2500 and often higher. I can probably get a used PC-Nikkor
> 28/3.5 plus a Nikon-Xpan adapter for around $1000. That and a 15mm Heliar
> external VF should cover just about as much film circle as the XPan 30mm.
>
> PROs of a PC Nikkor solution:
> - ~40% of the price
> - 3.5 vs. 5.6 widest aperture (vignetting issue unknown)
>
> PROs of a XPan solution:
> - smaller and lighter (how much?)
> - rangefinder coupled
> - built as part of the system.
>
> Thoughts? Experience?

Should just maybe almost cover about as much film circle as the XPan 30mm.
That's a direct mis quote!!!!!

Instead of buying the 30mm honey of a lens designed for the XPan system a
REASON TO GET INTO THE SYSTEM IN THE FIRST PLACE we want to to spend a grand
on a crummy ADAPTER!!!!!!!!
and put WHATEVER on the front!!!

I'd save up and go with the Fuji XPan glass. Probably looks better on the
camera. Some color scheme and everything. Says "Hasselblad" on it you can
pretend its Swedish.
Sometimes things start sounding too much like tricky cool money schemes..
I'd forget about all that stuff and pay the darned ticket and take the
pictures.
Pay the guy! Some things cost money.
And you only pay for it once.
Grab it out of that camera bag and no bell goes off and says
"YOU OWE ME MONEY" like George C. Scott in THE HUSTLER.
You get to use it for free every single time down the road you grab it out
of your bag.  Its yours and its the best. Puts a smile on your face. Does
mine.
Quit wheeling and dealing and just wait for a few paychecks to come
in!!!!!!!!
Then make prints and upload images after you've got that sweat system.
Forgo the Rube Goldberg extravaganzas!
I'd kill for an XPan system!!!! Might go there.
The 15mm Heliar belongs on an 80 dollar Bessa L. which I have and use all
the time and love.
Avedon shot with Fuji glass the last 30 years of his life it can't be that
bad. Or somebody would have said something like "Hey Dick what goes these
picture all all fuzzy?!?!?!" It's often brilliant optics. The 30mm is
supposed to be a primo example.
I think sometimes the best way to save money is to not save money.

People generally get into a camera system became of the glass.
The camera is good for securing that wonderful special glass to your
wonderful special tripod. And keeps the film dark. As they say on the LUG.
Generally its mainly the glass which is your first priority. Spend big bucks
on glass. Then tripod.
Whatever's left spend on a camera. A good enough one so your film stays
dark.
That's what I say.
The XPan a brilliant design for a camera though.

Getting into a camera system and then fudging someone's else glass on the
front of it it just means generally you should have not gone there in the
first place. Yes There are modular systems for wide angle like the Horseman
and Cambo and Alpa  where you've got your choice of little known names like
Schneider and Rodenstock and Zeiss to mix and match but the XPan is just not
one of those.
With an XPan you pays your money you get your glass.

XPan shots to show us with other lenses?

Mark Rabiner
8A/109s
New York, NY

markrabiner.com