Subject: [Leica] OT: Lightroom help
From: heninger at adobe.com (Wade Heninger)
Date: Wed Apr 11 22:58:31 2007

On 4/11/07 10:08 PM, "Nathan Wajsman" <nathan@nathanfoto.com> wrote:

> Jumping in late here.
>
> When I first import images into Lightroom, I use the "copy and convert
> to DNG" option, and I then work on the DNG files. Am I correct in
> assuming that the history of the edits I am doing is saved in the
> Lightroom database and not in the DNG files themselves? In other words,
> if I later copy the DNG files to another computer and re-import them
> into Lightroom there, then the edit information will NOT be contained in
> those DNG files? I assume that the solution is to export the DNG files
> AFTER I have made my edits, is that correct?
>
> On a related note, the databases do not seem to be 100% between Mac OS
> and Windows.
> When I came back from London Monday night, I copied the DNG files and
> the Lightroom database I had created for the shoot from my Powerbook to
> my Windows desktop. I then started Lightroom on the Windows machine,
> telling it to open the London database that I had just copied from the
> Mac. It opened the database allright, but when I wanted to use the
> Develop module, it said it could not open the file (even though I had
> pointed Lightroom to the directory where the files reside). I had to
> re-import the DNG files, and all my edits were lost (not a bit deal,
> since I had not done much work on the files, just some crops and rotates).

The first parts of my little workflow thing talk about this.

Turn on "Always write XMP" and the DNG will always have the data written to
the file.  It might take a bit of time if you do a lot to a bunch of files
quickly, but it will get there.

w a d e  h e n i n g e r
u s e r  e x p e r i e n c e
a d o b e  s y s t e m s ,  i n c