Subject: [Leica] re: while ago
From: reid at mejac.palo-alto.ca.us (Brian Reid)
Date: Wed Apr 4 16:54:15 2007

> It has been suggested that CDs will have a reliable life of less than ten
> years.  And you already know about hard drives.....

It's been suggested that when you burn something it releases the Phlogiston
that was in it.  It's been suggested that the moon is made of green cheese.

There is a lot of empirical evidence that Phthalocyanine gold CD's will last
100 years. And hard drives will last more or less forever if you keep them
in a dry environment, plug them in for a few minutes once every few years,
and don't drop them. That's no guarantee that you will in 100 years have a
computer that can read a USB2 external hard drive, but the bits will be on
it.

I'm a freak, so I keep my digital images both on unplugged hard drives and
on archival Phthalocyanine gold CD's. I know my not-yet-born grandchildren
will have no trouble showing them off to their offspring.