Subject: [Leica] Your saloonkeeper to be on US Public Television
From: reid at mejac.palo-alto.ca.us (Brian Reid)
Date: Thu Apr 5 20:55:13 2007

The week of April 15, US Public Television will broadcast what they call "A
Major Public Television Event".

Its website is here:

http://www.pbs.org/weta/crossroads/

This will be six days of documentaries, 2 hours each evening, with titles
like "The men and ideas behind al Qaeda" and "The case for war: in defense
of freedom".

On Friday April 20 at 9pm (coastal times), there is a 1-hour show titled
"Security vs Liberty: the other war". It was produced by ABC News on
contract for PBS. It explores the clampdown on freedom in the name of
security, including the Patriot Act, warrantless wiretapping, and so on. The
web page for that segment is here:

http://www.pbs.org/weta/crossroads/about/show_security_vs_liberty.html

I was extensively interviewed for this film, and the producers tell me that
even though my name does not appear in the outline of the show, there are
several minutes of conversation with me on the topic of the National
Security Agency's wiretaps of the AT&T facility in San Francisco. It seems
that I am nearly the only person who has seen this setup, who understands
the technology, and who wasn't going to get fired for talking to ABC News
about it.

        "If the war against terror is truly the long struggle our
         leaders say it will be, then so too will be the struggle
         to set the right balance between security and liberty. This
         program provides compelling human stories as well as
         valuable information that will help Americans better come
         to grips with the difficult choices we face."
                -- from the show's promo material

I'm not sure I have the fortitude to watch 12 hours of public television in
one week, but I know I'll watch the Friday Night segment. I hope that in the
final edit I don't make a fool of myself.

Brian Reid
LUG Saloonkeeper and novice photographer

Replies: Reply from dommorris at rogers.com (Dominic Morris) ([Leica] Your saloonkeeper to be on US Public Television)
Reply from don.dory at gmail.com (Don Dory) ([Leica] Your saloonkeeper to be on US Public Television)
Reply from gregj.lorenzo at shaw.ca (GREG LORENZO) ([Leica] Your saloonkeeper to be on US Public Television)
Reply from jayanand at gmail.com (Jayanand Govindaraj) ([Leica] Your saloonkeeper to be on US Public Television)