Subject: [Leica] Puts and IR Cut filters on M8
From: mark at rabinergroup.com (Mark Rabiner)
Date: Tue Apr 3 22:55:36 2007

On 4/3/07 7:10 PM, "Tom Pastorello" <etruscello@yahoo.com> typed:

>    With my gratitude to Mr. Puts for sharing his
> research on IR Cut filters and the M8 (Leica M8, Part
> 7), I must make known my experience because my results
> contradict his.
>    My placing a B+W 486 filter on Leica lenses of
> different focal lengths under various light conditions
> and at various ISOs consistently produces images of
> more natural color, higher macro contrast and higher
> micro contrast with sharper detail than not using the
> filter. The sharper image is particularly clear in
> landscapes. The tendency to red skin tones is
> significantly reduced with the IR Cut filter.  Puts'
> own portrait images (the blond woman) demonstrate this
> (correct his typo: below is with filter, above is
> without filter).
>    Reflections from strong light sources are a
> potential problem but rarely occur in my experience.
> They are more likely to occur the greater the distance
> the filter is from the lens, i.e., drop-in-hood
> filters are more likely to cause the problem.
>    The conclusion I've come to is to always keep a 486
> type filter in place on the M8.  (Puts does not
> indicate what type of cut filter he is using.) I'm not
> sure what has generated Puts' results. Literature from
> Schneider specifies that 486 type filters should in
> fact improve color and contrast. My results are
> consistent with Schneider's research.
>    What has been your experience on this issue?
>    Tom P.

Tom You're going up against Erwin you might state how you came to the
conclusions that you got" higher macro contrast and higher micro contrast
with sharper detail " or all we've got to go by is the tone of your voice
which is great but times being what they are not cutting it.
How did you measure your micro contrast? I was not aware such devices are
availed to the general public. Or macro contrast whatever that is?
Also I'd throw in a few illustrations they mean nothing but they placate the
masses into thinking  some measured thinking was done vs. just off the top
of ones head.. Although one can zoom in on a small area. When people do this
its usually from a hand held shot which they've missed their focus but they
do it anyway its getting to be an internet convention. With sharpening set
to god knows what on each shot or defaults from various camera companies in
direct comparison.
Where's the beef?

Mark Rabiner
8A/109s