Subject: [Leica] Puts and IR Cut filters on M8
From: etruscello at yahoo.com (Tom Pastorello)
Date: Tue Apr 3 16:10:20 2007

   With my gratitude to Mr. Puts for sharing his
research on IR Cut filters and the M8 (Leica M8, Part
7), I must make known my experience because my results
contradict his.
   My placing a B+W 486 filter on Leica lenses of
different focal lengths under various light conditions
and at various ISOs consistently produces images of
more natural color, higher macro contrast and higher
micro contrast with sharper detail than not using the
filter. The sharper image is particularly clear in
landscapes. The tendency to red skin tones is
significantly reduced with the IR Cut filter.  Puts'
own portrait images (the blond woman) demonstrate this
(correct his typo: below is with filter, above is
without filter).
   Reflections from strong light sources are a
potential problem but rarely occur in my experience.
They are more likely to occur the greater the distance
the filter is from the lens, i.e., drop-in-hood
filters are more likely to cause the problem.
   The conclusion I've come to is to always keep a 486
type filter in place on the M8.  (Puts does not
indicate what type of cut filter he is using.) I'm not
sure what has generated Puts' results. Literature from
Schneider specifies that 486 type filters should in
fact improve color and contrast. My results are
consistent with Schneider's research.
   What has been your experience on this issue?
   Tom P.

Bored stiff? Loosen up...
http://games.yahoo.com/games/front

Replies: Reply from henningw at archiphoto.com (Henning Wulff) ([Leica] Puts and IR Cut filters on M8)