Subject: [Leica] IMG: Identify this bird
From: hoppyman at bigpond.net.au (G Hopkinson)
Date: Sat Mar 31 14:22:53 2007

Len, it looks like what we in Australia call a sparrow, which is an
introduced, now pest, species from England. If you ever visit
Aus you can see approximately 900 000 of them per suburban square kilometre!
Apparently it is a member of the finch family. They are
not, shall we say, revered locally. Try a search. This page has a rather
flattering drawing from the 1800's.
http://www.amonline.net.au/factSheets/house_sparrow.htm

Cheers
Hoppy