Subject: [Leica] Re: was plastic cassettes now cosmic rays
From: chs2018 at med.cornell.edu (Chris Saganich)
Date: Fri Mar 30 08:13:23 2007

The additional cosmic rays flying over the pond is about the same as an
additional pre boarding bag scan.  One can think of the x-ray exposure like
flashing paper, not noticeable until you reach a particular threshold which
is pretty high for fresh film.  I would imagine it is lower for older
film.   The only occurrence I personally witnessed is when my sister-in-law
packed her camera and film in her checked bag.  The film was fogged for
sure.  Carry-on is the way to go with film.

At 06:37 AM 3/29/2007, you wrote:
>do you think something like delta 3200 will be affected? i'm kind of
>worried d3200 could be affected from across the room.  as well as
>by cosmic radiation at 37,000 feet.
>
>-rei
>
>On Mar28 20:26, Ted Grant wrote:
> > Oh my God stop the whining about film through carry on scanners!!!!!!!!!
> > Just throw the bag on the belt, move through body scan, pick-up camera
> > bag
> > and film and onto the plane!  Diddily squat will happen to neither....
> your
> > body nor film!
> >
> > I've had film rated at 800 and some at 1600 go through a half dozen
> > scanners before I even shot the stuff and nearly as many scans home bound
> > and absolutely nothing happened!
> >
> > Most of the people going on about carry on and film scan fog are spouting
> > nothing but urban myth! Sure it might happen in some 4th world developing
> > country because the equipment isn't set properly..... if that's possible?
> > And if it is set so bad to fog film you'll probably loose your ability to
> > create children!! Get over this crap, it doesn't happen in any developed
> > country of the world!
> >
> > Yep and I expect a dozen re-buttals from those who claim they've had it
> > happen! BULLS!!
> >
> > If you're going anywhere in the USA save the hassles, drop your camera
> > bag
> > on the scanner belt, walk through, pick it up and continue on your way.
> > No
> > problems! Smile and be damned glad you can do it so simply without
> > getting
> > your brains blown out!
> >
> > for what it's worth!
> >
> > ted