Subject: [Leica] CV lens recommendations
From: jmaddox01 at suddenlink.net (Jack Maddox)
Date: Fri Mar 30 04:21:56 2007

Justin Viiret wrote:
> Hi people,
>
> On 30/03/2007, at 1:24 PM, Jack Maddox wrote:
>
>> From what I am hearing the Nokton needs stopped down to 2.8 and that
>> most CV glass is subject to flaring.. Super wide angles are not my
>> cup of tea. I generally use a 35.
>
> Is this true? I've only really used the 40/1.4, but I've never, ever
> got it to flare. Not even once, and I used to use it without the hood
> all the time (couldn't get one until about 9 months after I bought the
> lens) . Perhaps this is only limited some of the CV glass?
>
> jv
>
> --
> Justin Viiret <justin@sprawl.com.au> :: http://jv.sprawl.com.au/
> Jack of some trades.
> Sydney, Australia
> Mobile: +61 412 222 585

Justin,

I have no first hand knowledge of the flair issue with CV glass. I took
my statement from Erwin Puts conclusion in his review of Voigtlander
glass. Here is his statement along with a link to the reviews:

      Perspective.

I have now tested many of the Voigtlander lenses and all show some
interesting family characteristics. All have decentring, sometimes
degrading the image quality more than should be tolerable for high
quality imagery. All have flare, pointing to a coating technique that
could be improved. And all have a somewhat dull, flat rendition of
details and outlines. This points to glass selection and a certain
choice of aberration correction.

On the positive side I note an excellent sometimes outstanding behavior
on axis, and a very good to excellent performance in the field. (when
negelcting the decentring problem).

All give better imagery than first class lenses 10 years ago and clearly
show the direction of the Cosina designers: Astounding value for the
money. I personally dislike the borrowing of the outward design of the
Zeiss Contax G and the older Leica lenses. But if you have to choose
between optical design and industrial design when you are on a tight
budget, this is a sound choice.

http://www.imx.nl/photosite/japan/voigtl01.html

Jack

Replies: Reply from drodgers at casefarms.com (David Rodgers) ([Leica] Colors of Spring)