Subject: [Leica] Kyle - have you seen this
From: summicron at comcast.net (Frank F. Farmer)
Date: Wed Mar 28 18:57:01 2007

Murder is a legal distinction.  Here in Mississippi, and many other
jurisdictions, it is defined thusly:

"1) The killing of a human being without the authority of law by any
means or in any manner shall be murder in the following cases:

(a) When done with deliberate design to effect the death of the person
killed, or of any human being;
(b) When done in the commission of an act eminently dangerous to others
and evincing a depraved heart, regardless of human life, although
without any premeditated design to effect the death of any particular
individual;
(c) When done without any design to effect death by any person engaged
in the commission of any felony other than rape, kidnapping, burglary,
arson, robbery, sexual battery, unnatural intercourse with any child
under the age of twelve (12), or nonconsensual unnatural intercourse
with mankind, or felonious abuse and/or battery of a child in violation
of subsection (2) of Section 97-5-39,  or in any attempt to commit such
felonies;
(d) When done with deliberate design to effect the death of an unborn
child."

The important distinction is that it be done "without the authority of
law."  Hence, killing in self-defense, for example, is not murder
because one has the right to defend oneself.  It is not the "killing"
alone that makes murder what it is.  There are a number of things to
consider.

Frank Farmer
Jackson, Miss.