Subject: [Leica] Panhandle: What was once a home...
From: robertbaron1 at gmail.com (Robert D. Baron)
Date: Wed Mar 28 07:40:50 2007

On 3-27-07 Bill Clough wrote:

> Hi there--
>
>    Here is the latest Texas Panhandle submission:
>
> http://gallery.leica-users.org/v/Bill1941/Panhandle/Homestead+Silhouette-1352+Sep+1973.jpg.html
>
>    Panhandle Index:
>    http://gallery.leica-users.org/v/Bill1941/Panhandle/
>
>    Complete Index:
>    http://gallery.leica-users.org/v/Bill1941/
>
> --Bill

Bill,

I've been looking at these as you post them.  They are excellent shots,
very evocative of the area.

My last wife went to high school in Beaver, in the Oklahoma panhandle.
I was out there a fair amount in the late sixties to mid-seventies, both
for (then) family reasons and also professionally, handling oil & gas
litigation in the Guymon, Oklahoma, area and also into the Texas
panhandle - towns like Borger, Follett, Booker and Perryton in Texas
come to mind (all of these places can be found via Google maps; they all
still exist).

I was between Leicas at that time (funny how my life until recently
could divided into periods of 'having' or 'not having' Leicas) so I
don't have similar photographs to show.  I wish I did, but I can re-live
places and people through yours.

But complimenting your photography and this old-geezer reminiscing is
not the main reason I now write.

Last summer (2006) I had several occasions to be in south-central
Oklahoma handling a truck accident case.  In particular I was along
Highway 7 between Ratliff City, Velma and Duncan, Oklahoma (you can find
those places on Google maps as well).  As I drove along the road I saw a
number of GeeBee-like scenes....hills, cattle, small homes (some
'trailers') with decorations.  It was beautiful.  The light was great. I
thought about stopping my car alongside the highway and taking some
photographs.

And then, realizing I had neither a gun nor a backup, I thought better
of it.

This is now methamphetamine country, and those folks don't like
photographers.

Do you suppose the panhandle is like that today?

--Bob Baron / Oklahoma City