Subject: [Leica] Hayden Planetarium
From: marcsmall at comcast.net (Marc James Small)
Date: Mon Mar 26 20:36:37 2007

At 12:13 AM 3/27/2007, Mark Rabiner wrote:

 >Zeiss is Nice.
 >
 >Down the street is the Zeiss Mark IX projector at the Hayden planetarium.
 >I'm going to check it out Friday.
 >Tom Hanks and Harrison Ford do the narration.
 >They couldn't get any big stars.

In the late 1930's, Carl Zeiss Jena supplied its
then state-of-the-art planetarium projectors to a
bunch of US facilities -- Hayden in New York,
Buhl in Pittsburgh, Griffith in the City of Lost
Angels, and to Chicago and Philadelphia and
Chapel Hill, North Carolina.  These projectors
were monsters of mechanical complexity and
required a staff of on-call watchmakers to keep them in tune.

Over the past fifteen years, all of these
projectors have been junked:  the ones from Buhl
and Griffith and Philadelphia have simply
disappeared and may well have gone to the scrap
heap despite efforts to at least preserve them as
museum exhibits.  Hayden was the only one to
replace the old CZJ projector with the modern
Carl Zeiss model.  The others all seem to have
opted for Japanese ones and not even the quality
Goto projectors but, rather, slimey ones which
can, as the Director of Buhl said, "give really
neat laser rock-shows" as if that is the
rationale behind why you have a planetarium in the first place.  Idolatry!

Hayden is to be praised for their dedication to
the central goal of scientific education.  They
use to have a register when you entered where you
could sign up for your ticket to the Moon when
these became commercially available.  I signed up
in 1959, and I'm still waiting ....

Marc

msmall@aya.yale.edu
Cha robh b?s fir gun ghr?s fir!