Subject: [Leica] OT - was Ken Rockwell, now Tom Corbett, Space Cadet
From: mark at rabinergroup.com (Mark Rabiner)
Date: Thu Mar 22 21:09:24 2007

On 3/22/07 10:38 PM, "Howard Ritter" <hlritter@bex.net> typed:

> OMG! Someone else who's heard of, and remembers, Tom Corbett, Space
> Cadet, and Astro the single-named colonist kid from Venus. Remember
> cocky Roger Manning and hard-ass Major Connell?
>
> Funny, but I strongly identified a high school friend with Astro and
> another with Roger Manning, close enough fits that they could have
> been models for the characters. I suppose I thought of myself as Tom.
> I had the whole set of 7 or 8 hardbacks in the series. Happiest
> reading of my adolescent years. Somewhere along the line my sainted
> mother gave 'em away....
>
> --howard

I was more partial to Tom Swift Jr. and there were more of them and there
were pictures. I'll never forget where ever they went to the dark side of
the moon or the center of the earth the dreaded Bulgarians were never far
behind. Their idea of a more vague red menace.
I read those under the covers with a flashlight bulb hooked up with two
wires to a battery. Those I kept between the mattress and box spring.
My eyes didn't go bad till decades later.

Mark Rabiner
8A/109s
New York, NY

markrabiner.com