Subject: [Leica] Adobe Photodownloader
From: dommorris at rogers.com (Dominic Morris)
Date: Wed Mar 21 20:55:51 2007

Hi, Gene,

Variety makes this world of ours a lovely place so whatever works for
you is great. A few years ago I fried a 500 meg ram chip I was
stupidly trying to install myself. Sad lesson. Guy shy ever since. I
won't say my way is better, since 'better' is defined by personal
preference as much as anything. Downloader works exceptionally well
for me and Bridge CS3 beta 2 improves it immeasurably.

I haven't timed it but the USB is FAST for the M8, at a guess 5 to 10
times faster then with my old Sony, so the battery drain would seem
to be minimal. I always keep a fully charged spare ready to go.
Next time I accumulate a fair sized batch I'll time the process and
get back to you.

My day job (not photography related) takes  50+ hours per week and I
could easily do more. That makes my photography time a proper luxury
and not to be wasted on mundane but vital work flow processes. Just
as your batteries are better spent making images, so is my time. I
will use any form of automation I can find to minimize computer time.
It's more than just the download. It's backing up, renaming and
adding some personalized metadata fields as well, plus if I were an
Aperture user, adapting the Leica DNG to something Aperture can
read.  Downloader does all that very nicely. The only thing it lacks
is an option to erase the card. I've forgotten to do so manually more
than once and ended up with double download next go round.

Ah, well. They have to leave something for the next version to call
an improvement.

Cheers,
Dom