Subject: [Leica] Have any of you had this happen with the M8?
From: leicam4pro at yahoo.com (Photo Phreak)
Date: Wed Mar 21 10:42:22 2007

Reading all the gripes about the Leica products of the last ten or so years
makes me glad I bought my black M4 in 1969.

  Too bad failing eyesight means it will be for sale.

Mark Rabiner <mark@rabinergroup.com> wrote:
  On 3/17/07 1:30 PM, "grduprey@mchsi.com" typed:

> I don't know how cramped the M8 is for space, but that may have been a
> reason
> for using the SD cards, but since the DMR uses them also, they probably
> decide
> to use it for that reason. Either way I have no problem with the SD cards.
> My Nikon D200 uses the CF cards, but my wifes Nikon Coolpix uses the SD
> cards.
> Go figure...even with an camera brand they change.
>
> Gene

I believe its not a BRAND thing but a MARKET thing.
And for the DMR digital back for the R series having the card be an SD card
is just plain odd. SD stands for MINICAM.
Like putting those little wheels all the cars have now on your new MASERATI.

I'm thinking an R8 or R9 with DMR weights more Or close as a Hasselblad HC3
that's just my guess.
http://www.hasselblad.com/products/h-system.aspx

You'd find SD's in the top all in one gadget cameras and cheap DSLRs
marketed for beginners but not the top line or even mid line stuff at all.

I think its an image thing. Not the photographic image of course no one
cares about that but the photographers image of does his Tilley hat match
his leatherette covering on his gear; or high heels.

SD goes along usually with the dreaded heartbreak known to the afflicted as
SMALL SENSOR SIZE
SSS
4/3s or smaller. Or super cheap plastic starter DSLRs.

I think the Leica marketing people should have gone in there and kicked ass
and gotten them to use a regular big boy CF card.
What are marketing people FOR anyway?! They design cameras that's what!
I guess since they figured they were not going to go with 24x36 frame then
its anything goes with this digital junk.

But I think its money we don't know about. Marketing another thing we have
to buy. Burgeoning technology. Those CF cards don't all break real fast,
most of them just work and work. Are not disposable enough. So we just have
to make them set themselves up with multiple Evolving formats.
MEF

CF standing for

Cash Flow
Corn Flakes
Carbon Fiber
Complement Fixation
Carrier Frequency (ask Kenneth)
Collaborative Filtering
Childfree
Charcoal Filter
Cadillac Fairview
Hundred Feet
Cahiers Francais
Coin First Payphone
Cluster Foulup (polite form; military slang)

And now that I'm a roll here
SD standing for

Standard Deviation
Scooby-Doo
Same Difference
social drinker
Senior Discount
Self-Destruct
Software Documentation
Snoop Dogg (who gets called Scooby a lot ask him)
Sweet Dreams
Snow Day
Safe Driver
Siamese Dream (Smashing Pumpkins album)
Sample Duplicate
Significantly Different

These are all good.

But Significantly Different being the opposite of Same Difference so you
have to be careful of context in your prescribed field of reference.
These are not "words of art" folks.

So do you want a Cluster Foulup (polite form) Card for your big boy pro
camera?
or Self-Destruct card for your Minicam?
I'm being negative.

I think but the DMR and the M8 are for sure big boy (or girl) cameras.
And deserve BB or BG batteries and Cards and other decisive accessories.

DMR of course standing for

Deuteron Magnetic Resonance
Distributed Mesh Restoration
Desktop Maintenance Required
Dual Modular Redundancy (another one for Kenneth)

None of these are good.

BB Rabiner
8A/109s
New York, NY