Subject: [Leica] [img] wwii
From: kcassidy at asc.upenn.edu (Kyle Cassidy)
Date: Wed Mar 21 08:16:05 2007

http://www.asc.upenn.edu/usr/cassidy/temp/wild-bill5.jpg

A photograph needs to stand on its own. If you have to say "this is the
oldest living confederate widow" for it to work, then you need to
reshoot it. Hopefully this photo works on it's own. If it doesn't, hit
me with your worst.

But, for your enjoyment, some backstory.

"I killed a lotta Germans. Christ, I killed a lotta Germans on D-Day."

Last night it was my great pleasure to photograph "Wild" Bill Guarnere
of the 101st Airborne. Bill parachuted into Normandy on D-Day, fought
across France, then parachuted again into Holland for operation Market
Garden, lost a leg in the Battle of the Bulge, won a Silver Star for
bravery and two Purple Hearts, and to this day takes no guff from local
hoodlums. "You picked the right guy you @#$@# @!#$@$#er," he said to
someone who threatened him on the street several years ago, "I've killed
before and I ain't done yet." Then Bill chased the guy down the street
on his crutches.

Despite that, he's excruciatingly open and accommodating to polite
people. He's been back to Germany fifteen times and when meeting old
German soldiers he says "It's a good thing you're meeting me now, now
you get a hug, back then, you woulda got a bullet, right between the
eyes, if I'd seen you."

Photographed with one monolight strobe in a softbox about three feet
from the subject's left. Leica d200 with an 18-70.

Replies: Reply from rsphotoimages at comcast.net (Bob Shaw) ([Leica] [img] wwii)
Reply from leicachris at worldnet.att.net (Christopher Williams) ([Leica] Re: [img] wwii)
Reply from hoppyman at bigpond.net.au (G Hopkinson) ([Leica] [img] wwii)
Reply from hewthompson at mac.com (Hugh Thompson) ([Leica] [img] wwii)