Subject: [Leica] OT: Apple computer repair
From: drodgers at casefarms.com (David Rodgers)
Date: Wed Mar 21 07:29:38 2007

While "repair while you wait" would be nice, it's rare that it happens.
I've heard several rationales from repair departments for longer turn
around times.

One, we're busy and backlogged. (probably somewhat valid)

Secondly, we need time to make sure everything is working properly. We
need to let run for a while. (probably more valid in years past than
today. How much testing is done, really?)

Finally, customers balk at paying labor costs if there's a quick -- as
in minutes -- turn around time. Better to keep the customer in the dark.
Most people probably don't realize that swapping a power supply is as
simple as opening the case, unscrewing 4 screws, unplugging and few
connectors, inserting a new unit and connecting things back up. If the
shop keeps it for 3 days perhaps the customers thinks it is being worked
on the entire time. Only one hour labor might seem a bargain. (Call me a
skeptic but when it comes right down to it this is the real reason for
longer turn around).

In fairness, though, sometimes it can be a pita to diagnose a computer
problem. My system had been crashing intermittently. The problem stopped
only after I replaced the fan on the NB chipset with a heat sink. And
here I thought it was software related.

DaveR