Subject: [Leica] Belt-and-Suspenders Protection for your hard drive
From: jshul at comcast.net (Jim Shulman)
Date: Tue Mar 20 17:32:24 2007

One addition I strongly recommend for those who have PC-disk based systems:
get a RAID array, in addition to regular data back-ups.  A RAID array is
basically two disks run in synch, with data written to both simultaneously.
If one disk conks out, the second keeps on running (with a notice that you
had a disk failure.)  Down time is reduced to next to zero, and you can
replace the defective disk at your convenience.

I have used a RAID array for a few years, and can vouch for its
effectiveness.  When I had a disk go hooves-up, I just saw a little error
message on my screen, but lost nothing--no data, and no time.

Jim Shulman
Bryn Mawr, PA
Who would still be using clay tablets were it not for his husband, the IT
maven.

Replies: Reply from enitka1 at comcast.net (Ernest Nitka) ([Leica] Belt-and-Suspenders Protection for your hard drive)
Message from tedgrant at shaw.ca (Ted Grant) ([Leica] probably your worse case nightmare! :-()
Message from ekowaleski at twmi.rr.com (Ed Kowaleski) ([Leica] probably your worse case nightmare! :-()