Subject: [Leica] IMG: Long-eared Owl
From: mark at rabinergroup.com (Mark Rabiner)
Date: Sun Mar 18 20:36:24 2007

On 3/18/07 9:23 PM, "Doug Herr" <telyt@earthlink.net> typed:

> Today I visited Mercey Hot Springs near Firebaugh California
> (merceyhotsprings.com). located in the hills west of I-5 in the
> central valley.  For those who have not travelled this stretch of
> freeway, it's considered one of the most boring freeways in
> California; winter at least has some green in the grasslands, but in
> summer the hills are light brown with dead grass and the sky,
> influenced by automotive pollution and grass fires, is nearly the
> same color.
>
> Mercey Hot Springs is an oasis with a year-round water supply and a
> small grove of tamarix trees, the only substantial plant growth for
> many miles.  During the winter months these tamarix trees are host to
> numerous Long-eared Owls who hunt for Kangaroo Rats in the
> surrounding desert by night and roost communally in the tamarix trees
> by day:
>
> http://www.wildlightphoto.com/birds/strigidae/leow01.jpg
> http://www.wildlightphoto.com/birds/strigidae/leow02.jpg
>
> Technical stuff: (both photos) R8/DMR, tripod

Amazing shots my fave of all Doug's work. Even the shot I ordered from him.

You know like when you go to the zoo and you go the the monkey house and you
look at the big ones and you get all creeped out and think "gee this looks
like Grandpa" well I got more creeped out that that when I ran into a couple
of owls in the woods of Oregon a year or so back. There was something more
than real about them that really got me. Wonder why.

Maybe they're really dinosaurs but people don't know it yet.

The "wise old owl" thing just skims the surface.

They're very other worldly wise.

Mark Rabiner
8A/109s
New York, NY