Subject: [Leica] IMG: Long-eared Owl
From: telyt at earthlink.net (Doug Herr)
Date: Sun Mar 18 17:28:16 2007

Today I visited Mercey Hot Springs near Firebaugh California
(merceyhotsprings.com). located in the hills west of I-5 in the
central valley.  For those who have not travelled this stretch of
freeway, it's considered one of the most boring freeways in
California; winter at least has some green in the grasslands, but in
summer the hills are light brown with dead grass and the sky,
influenced by automotive pollution and grass fires, is nearly the
same color.

Mercey Hot Springs is an oasis with a year-round water supply and a
small grove of tamarix trees, the only substantial plant growth for
many miles.  During the winter months these tamarix trees are host to
numerous Long-eared Owls who hunt for Kangaroo Rats in the
surrounding desert by night and roost communally in the tamarix trees
by day:

http://www.wildlightphoto.com/birds/strigidae/leow01.jpg
http://www.wildlightphoto.com/birds/strigidae/leow02.jpg

Technical stuff: (both photos) R8/DMR, tripod

leow01: 560mm f/6.8 Telyt at f/6.8
leow02: 280mm f/4 APO at about f/8 for DOF.

I also expect to have some film photos of these birds in about a
week.  All comments welcome

Doug Herr
Birdman of Sacramento
http://www.wildlightphoto.com