Subject: [Leica] 25mm f/1.4 "normal" 4/3's lens hits (Olympus)
From: abridge at gmail.com (Adam Bridge)
Date: Fri Mar 9 08:58:02 2007

On 3/8/07, Gary Todoroff <datamaster@northcoastphotos.com> wrote:

> Yep, just like the trend in computers is to bigger cases! And bigger
> memory boards. And bigger cable connectors. Good grief, what is thing
> with SIZE?! Sensors are cramming more and better pixels into the same
> size, just as bytes are stuffed into ever smaller memory chips every
> year. What is so magical about a 35mm digital frame size? Absolutely
> NOTHING!

Hmmm....at least for me I'm seeing most connectors as smaller than
they were 10 years ago. The DVI digital connector is certainly as
small if not smaller than the old "standard" video standard, USB
connectors and cables are smaller, ethernet hasn't really changed,
FireWire cables are compact, it's all pretty compact and easy to carry
around!

The size of internal components may have grown a bit for reasons of
heat dissipation.

Laptops seem smaller unless you get one of the "big screen" versions
which are most definitely useful for image editing but a bit of a pain
to carry around. I used to have a 17" but have moved back to a 15"
MacBook Pro.

Push the pixel density is sort of an arms race with no clear purpose
beyond PR after some point. For me I want more sensitivity and lower
noise.

Adam

Replies: Reply from gregj.lorenzo at shaw.ca (GREG LORENZO) ([Leica] 25mm f/1.4 "normal" 4/3's lens hits (Olympus))
Message from mark at rabinergroup.com (Mark Rabiner) ([Leica] 25mm f/1.4 "normal" 4/3's lens hits)