Subject: [Leica] 25mm f/1.4 "normal" 4/3's lens hits
From: leica at screengang.com (Didier Ludwig)
Date: Thu Mar 8 02:26:32 2007

Mark

My point was: why are the 4/3 cameras and lenses as big as the other ones -
because, at least in the beginning, the 4/3 system claimed to be more
compact?

I strongly doubt that the 4/3 system is becoming a significant factor in
photojournalism, especially sports photography. Sounds more like wishful
thinking to me. The Oly and Panaleica lenses, as sharp and fast they are,
the slow is their autofocus.

The trend for DSLR cameras clearly goes to bigger sensors, not because of
the backward compatibility to older lenses, but because they deliver better
quality than smaller ones - period. The sport photographers I often meet in
the hockey stadium are glad to have high pixel counts - allowing them to
crop more off a picture and still keeping enough details. THAT'S ONE OF THE
NEEDS, MARK. Have never seen them using something else than (many) Canons
and (a few) Nikons.

Larger 4/3 sensor: very unlikely. This would break the system into
subsystems. The so far produced lenses are made for exactly that 4/3 sensor
size, would not cover a larger field. Bigger sensor = new lenses = new
system = probably the death of the old 4/3.

Didier

Replies: Reply from Frank.Dernie at btinternet.com (Frank Dernie) ([Leica] 25mm f/1.4 "normal" 4/3's lens hits)
Reply from hoppyman at bigpond.net.au (G Hopkinson) ([Leica] 25mm f/1.4 "normal" 4/3's lens hits)
Reply from datamaster at northcoastphotos.com (Gary Todoroff) ([Leica] 25mm f/1.4 "normal" 4/3's lens hits (Olympus))