Subject: [Leica] Re: Supersize me
From: marcsmall at comcast.net (Marc James Small)
Date: Tue Mar 6 19:06:40 2007

I made my wife some Corned Beef Salad tonight
(Argentine corned beef, real Duke's Mayo, some
Maille mustard, dill and sweet pickle
relish.  She had a tough day.  This will probably
give her a burst of energy to keep on supporting this decrepit Kept Man.

She had to drive two and a half hours each way
today to train a subordinate.  I went along, with
one of our dogs, and sat in the car reading while
she did her thing.  On the way up she insisted at
stopping for a bite at Burger King and on the way
back she wanted to stop at an Outback.  Much as a
I do love their Prime Rib, I wasn't in the mood,
and she fell asleep by the time we went by the
Outback, so I got us back to Richmond where I
suggested a light meal and bed.  The next thing I
knew, she had broken off the opening nick on a
can of Corned Beef and had to get me to open
it.  Good stuff:  I had a couple of spoonfuls and
it came out properly.  Bully Beef to the rescue!

Burger King confused me, as these fast-food
places just will not let you order what you want
to eat.  They keep coming up with these "combo"
meals and seem upset when you won't oversize them
-- Burger King now has "medium" and "king-size"
and "super-king-size".  Gads!  I did my job on
the carbs, kids:  I had a "triple stacker" but
finished neither my Coke nor my fries.  Burger
King is the first US chain, to my knowledge, to
offer a FOUR hamburger patty sandwich.  That is
almost as bad as Hardee's, with those vile
concoctions so large you would need to have the
jaws of a Jazz singer to eat them.

I like sit-down restaurants and try to avoid
fast-food places, though I do go back to 1958
with MacDonald's, back in the days when it was
eat-in-the-car and it proudly acknowledged having
sold 538 hamburgers <he grns:  that came along a
bit later>.  But when I am with my wife or my
son, it is hard to avoid their desire to stop at
these places.  I just wish that I did not have to
be the one placing the order, as I can never
understand the process and the menu.

I have lost 65 pounds in four years by simply
resigning my commission in the Clean Plate
Brigade.  Ten more to go, and then all will be
fine.  And I do generally eat REALLY
high-cholesterol and high-calorie foods but,
then, I have naturally low blood pressure and
naturally low cholesterol.  Genetics helps a lot!

Marc

msmall@aya.yale.edu
Cha robh b?s fir gun ghr?s fir!

Replies: Reply from red735i at earthlink.net (Frank Filippone) ([Leica] Re: Supersize me)