Subject: [Leica] Re: MF cameras (formerly Seagull)
From: lrzeitlin at optonline.net (Lawrence Zeitlin)
Date: Sun Feb 25 17:14:51 2007

On Feb 25, 2007, at 7:17 PM, Don wrote:

> Larry,
> With Rolleicords just over $100 why would I spend more for a not so
> good
> camera.  Why let the bad drive out the good?  Yashicamats can be
> very good
> but somewhat variable but the G model is priced very foolishly
> compared to
> Rolleicords.  Then their are all the Autocords and whatnot from the
> fifties.  Sometimes new is not better, but M8's can only be had new
> right
> now.  :)

Actually my MF camera is a Kodak Medalist II, modified by Ken Ruth to
use 120 film. It is built solid as a rock and weighs like one too. It
has the best lens Kodak ever made. It is a RF camera with all the
good and bad that goes with it. The frame size is 6x9 cm, 50% larger
than the wimpy Rolleis and Hassys. I bought it when I worked at a
newspaper since it was far easier to schlepp around than a Speed
Graphic. At the time I was criticized for using a "miniature."

I have to confess that I haven't used it seriously in more than a
decade. Digital now satisfy most of my imaging needs. I'm waiting for
the early adopters to dump their M8s when the M9 comes out.

Larry Z