Subject: [Leica] Raw Developers - Capture One LE question
From: henningw at archiphoto.com (Henning Wulff)
Date: Wed Feb 21 14:01:39 2007

>Mine isn't working that way, by default I've got:
>
>~\Pictures\
>       Capture One Default Session\
>               Captures\
>                       Capture One Settings\
>                       L1000032.DNG
>               Default.session
>               Processed\
>               Trash\
>
>The DNG's are all 10.1 M, even after modifying them. Did you
>"capture" them from external media or the camera or copy over from a
>directory?
>
>c.

I just pointed Capture One to the directory that had the DNGs. They
were read in with a card reader. v3.7.6 LE on a Mac.

In the directory with the DNG's a folder 'Capture One Settings' is
created, and in that three sub folder: 'ImageSettings', 'Previews'
and 'Thumbnails'.

For a DNG named L1001111.DNG, a 484 byte file 'L1001111.DNG.plist' is
created in 'ImageSettings', a 213,417byte file
'L1001111.DNG.thumbnail' is created in 'Thumbnails' and a
13,735,112byte file 'L1001111.DNG.preview' is created in 'Previews'.

So a total of about 14Mb is created from the original 10.1Mb file,
and the original is still sitting next to them. Ugh!!

BTW, in my 'Pictures' directory I also have what you show, except all
the directories are empty. Maybe its necessary to use the 'Pictures'
directory to avoid this mess. My images are all on external data
drives.

It seems to me there must be some way to not have it create this huge
'duplicate' preview. I'm not excited about the thumbnail files and
plists, but the latter (probably) stores the non-destructive
processing info, and the thumbnails, well... it's like necessary to
store that somewhere, somehow.

I'll probably stick to the Adobe products, even though Bridge
sluggish. With Canon files I never used Bridge, just let iView
MediaPro catalog the files, and opened the files up directly from
there. iView MediaPro doesn't read DNG's, and since it's now a
Microsoft product, it will likely be a loooong time before that gets
fixed.

--
    *            Henning J. Wulff
   /|\      Wulff Photography & Design