Subject: [Leica] I Tried an M8; Color Question
From: rbaron at concentric.net (Robert D. Baron)
Date: Sun Feb 18 18:30:04 2007

Don Dory writes:

> If you didn't run any corrections in Light Room then the shift at 2500 is
> major.  Sounds like a retest on a tripod so no other variations.  I would
> also ask if they are on version 1.09 firmware on their demo.  I still
> wouldn't worry about it, the correction in LR would be pretty simple even
> if
> there were random color shifts.  I can say that my sample is not behaving
> in
> that manner.

Don, I did notice the firmware version was 1.09, and I remember
discussing with the salesman (Josh) that the camera was the current
version with the latest firmware.

I won't be going back any time soon so no further tests are forthcoming,
but like you I'm just curious as to the cause.

I use a little gizmo called a whibal
http://whibal.com/products/whibal/index.html as a reference point to get
accurate color temperature set in the Adobe Raw Converter, and I assume
I can use it in Lightroom too.  It's pretty compact and easy to use when
I remember to use it.

As previously noted, I sure can't do it by my eye.

> Reading between the lines at dpreview over many tests a lot of cameras
> shift
> wb as the ISO goes up especially in tungsten, none as major as this shows.

Interesting, thanks.

If it was film I would say it might be a reciprocity issue but I don't
know if that applies to digital.

I guess I'm just enough of a control freak that I don't like these kinds
of surprises when I see my contact sheets, film or digi.

> Happy snaps in OK

Thanks! Same back to you.

I *have* been snapping (mostly dogs but some babies; amazing
similarities in photographing both when they are young) and will get
some posted before 2007 is half over I promise.

--Bob

Replies: Reply from jeffmatsler at amaonline.com (Jeff S. Matsler) ([Leica] I Tried an M8; Color Question / Dallas?)