Subject: [Leica] Mac question
From: reid at mejac.palo-alto.ca.us (Brian Reid)
Date: Sat Feb 17 08:11:02 2007

Apple does not void the warranty if you use un-approved software. That sign
was probably put there by some unhappy CompUSA employee. This is an urban
legend.

Bootcamp enables your computer to dual-boot either Windows or Mac OS. You
have to choose. When it is running Windows, Mac OS is not there. This
matters a little tiny bit; for example, if you have a Palm Pilot connected
to a USB port on your computer and you want to run the Windows software for
Palm Pilot, Bootcamp is slightly better because there is no ambiguity about
whether the USB is supposed to talk to Windows or Mac. By contrast,
Parallels lets you run Windows as an application window
inside your Mac. This is what I do, and in general it works perfectly, but
there's a little bit of fussing around you have to do when connecting
peripherals like USB so that you get to choose whether the peripheral
connects to Windows or to MacOS.

Both Bootcamp and Parallels require that your Mac have an Intel processor.
Windows on a Mac is exactly as stable as Windows on any other machine. There
are no additional instabilities introduced by the Parallels or Bootcamp
environment. (This was not true of Virtual PC, which was less stable than a
real physical PC).

I haven't tried Vista on my Mac. The vendor says it works
(http://www.parallels.com/en/news/id,10311)

Brian Reid