Subject: [Leica] On the Loading of Leica Thread-Mount
From: amr3 at alpha1.csd.uwm.edu (Alan Magayne-Roshak)
Date: Fri Feb 9 08:50:04 2007

I too use a Swiss Army Knife to cut the leader for my IIIf and Stereo
Realist.  What I found that seems to be the key for easy loading is to
leave the rewind lever at "R" until the film, attached to the take-up
spool, is inserted in the camera.  This allows the sprocket shaft to move
into the sprocket holes with a little jiggle to the take-up spool.  I just
make sure I can see a tooth coming through a hole, attach the bottom plate,
and THEN turn the lever to "A".

I've had less trouble loading my IIIf than I've had with the supposedly
quick-load system on the M4-2 that I used to use at work.  Sometimes it
would take three tries to get that going.

Coincidentally, yesterday I put these pictures up of my IIIf "all decked
out" with low-light meter + rapid wind and rewind gizmos.  I don't use
these, but I thought it made an interesting assemblage.

<http://gallery.leica-users.org/v/Alan+Magayne-Roshak/Gear/IIIf_Top_AMR.jpg.html

<http://gallery.leica-users.org/v/Alan+Magayne-Roshak/Gear?IIIf_Front_AMR.jpg.ht
ml>

Alan