Subject: [Leica] DAS IMG 78: The Stowaways
From: dstella1 at ameritech.net (Dante Stella)
Date: Sun Feb 4 08:48:03 2007

George:

We were traveling between Okakarara (Namibia) and one of the outlying
settlements.  We gave the kids a lift.  Our hosts informed us that it
was fairly common practice since no one has cars and there is no
public transit.  Generally, you would never pick up an adult unless
he or she was known to you.

The thing that was a little weird about the picture was that it was
the first time I leaned hard on Verichrome Pan to pick up a scale
that was in the low tones.   Seems to have worked.  For 17 years I
had been using it for its highlight taming ability.  I had no idea
about whether this roll was going to come out (very difficult
lighting) and had to call on a friend's expertise in development.
When I run out of VP, I guess it's on to T-Max 400.  Or maybe time to
check out the state of Leica digital.

By the way, the Fuji GA645zi proved to be a very competent rough-
environment camera.  Functioned flawlessly in desert, high heat, and
after gut-shaking rut roads.  The tapered hood makes it very easy to
pocket (or put into a small bag).  Who would have thought that an
autofocus medium format camera with a zoom would have survived the
trip?  I sent it in to Fuji when I got back, and they found no ill
effects (of course, I got charged flat rate labor to find this out,
but on top of what the trip cost, it wasn't that much).

This trip also gave me a new perspective on digital - you had better
have electricity.  By the time I was taking these pictures toward the
end of the trip, we were days from having enough electricity (in
terms of plug in time) to charge a D2x battery.  Shooting in 40+
(centigrade) heat ran batteries down very, very fast - and I took 3,
almost not enough batteries.  Luckily, the Fuji runs on tiny CR123As,
and it never let up for a second.

Dante