Subject: [Leica] Leica M8 IR cutoff filters
From: len-1 at comcast.net (Leonard Taupier)
Date: Sat Feb 3 14:16:48 2007

Bill,

Leica changed the Noctilux filter size in 1994 when they changed to a
built-in lens hood. Prior to '94 was 58mm, 60mm thereafter. I ordered
a 60mm and a 39mm from Leica. I just ordered 6 Heliopan filters from
the Leica rep who also reps HP Marketing, the Heliopan distributor.
The filters are due in 2 weeks. Just about everybody else is out of
the normal Leica sizes. I had a hot mirror filter purchased about a
year ago for Nikon lenses. I just bought step up rings for 39mm and
46mm which covers my 28, 35 and 50mm lenses. OK but you can't use a
lens hood.

One word of caution if you have the 21mm Asph and the Tri-Elmar lens.
You must purchase a slim WA filter for these lenses otherwise the
slip-on hood will not snap into place. The standard 55mm Tiffen
filter doesn't work. The B+W slim filters are very slim and work and
are costly. They also do not have the outward threads to attach screw
in hoods. They are perfect for lenses with built in hoods, though.

Len