Subject: [Leica] Well
From: mads.christensen at gmx.net (Mads Christensen)
Date: Mon Jan 29 07:29:35 2007

Steve, Don et al.

Thanks for the interest shown as regards my wellbeing.

Please be sure that I am alive and kicking but things seem to be getting
nastier...

A friend of mine asked this morning if this country was not a beautiful
albeit dangerous place? Here is what I told him: I really don't know if it
is a beautiful place because I am not in a position to see and judge for
myself. But I know now for sure that it can be deadly dangerous.

I live in a compound in the green zone and this is also where our offices
are located. I am working with three colleagues on capacity development
(human and institutional, that is) and hence we need to be in as close as
possible dialogue with our counterparts in the ministry. That institution,
however, is located in the red zone and hence we are going there at odd
intervals throughout the week for 2-hour-'visits'. We are riding with
private security firms using armoured vehicles and we are all wearing flak
jackets and kevlar helmets. We are guided to/from the building by our armed
guards and they stand by outside the meeting rooms because of the risk of
shooting incidents and attempts of kidnapping. This kind of working
situation is of course far from ideal when trying to promote new styles of
working and new structures and work processes in the ministry but this is
what the security situation calls for.

When shuttling in the vehicles, we are subject to the risk of car bombs but
so far our intelligence have prevented us from being 'too' close to such
events. A couple of nights ago, we had two rockets 'landing' in the
compound; one went through the roof of the block that I was just passing by
and when I reached by own block for shelter, we were all told to seek
shelter a different place because another rocket had actually penetrated the
outer wall my block, at the opposite end of where my room is located. That
had happened just seconds before the rocket the impact of which I witnessed.
None of the two rockets exploded because the explosive material apparently
had lost its power! Thus we were lucky to have only minor casualties that
night, which was my first incident of this kind. During the day in the green
zone we have frequently 'lock downs' because of imminent risks of explosions
of bombs that sometimes turns out to be true and sometimes turn out to be
based on inaccurate intelligence. Sic!

I look forward to my leave in February...

Stay safe guys - whereever you are,

Mads

--
Ideal f?r Modem und ISDN: http://www.gmx.net/de/go/smartsurfer