Subject: [Leica] MY first experience with an M8
From: jplaurel at spectare.com (Jim Laurel)
Date: Sun Jan 28 09:09:38 2007

I would agree with what B.D. is saying here.  There is no doubt that
Leica nailed the user experience.  The M8 handles beautifully.  The
controls and menuing structure are very well laid out.  Resolution of
fine detail is impressive - better than a 1Ds with the finest L
series lenses.  Mine even had a perfectly aligned RF out of the box -
can you believe it?

I am also seeing the magenta cast in low light scenes.  Again,
several people have told me that this gets solved with the IR filters.

What really galls you about the M8, though, is that Leica sells it to
you as if it is a viable product without the filters.  It isn't.
After the first dozen images, I realized that I could not trust this
camera for any shoot I cared about.  So the owner experience is:

-Unpack your M8
-Oogle over it being a digital M
-Admire the great form factor
-Shoot your first photos and enjoy the magenta casts over everything
-Go online and order your IR filters
-Set your M8 on the shelf while waiting for the filters to arrive  ;-)

If the filters really solve the problems we're seeing, Leica needs to
figure out a way for customers get their IR filters at the point of
purchase.  They must be considered mandatory - an integral part of
the camera itself, not an add-on that will improve results.  Leica
and the dealers have to make this very clear to the customer up front.

--Jim